When to File a DMCA Complaint with Yahoo!
It is appropriate to file a DMCA complaint with Yahoo when:
- Your work has been stolen and republished on a Yahoo-owned platform or service
- Your work has been copied, you are unable to have it taken down quickly, and you have found that you are losing Yahoo! search traffic due to the duplicated content ranking higher in Yahoo search results for important keywords
Filing a DMCA Complaint with Yahoo!
On Yahoo!’s Copyright and Intellectual Property Policy page, several options for submitting notices of claims of intellectual property violations are presented, including mail, fax, and phone.
Submitting a DMCA complaint with Yahoo via email is probably the easiest way to go; their address is firstname.lastname@example.org
Template for Filing a DMCA Complaint with Yahoo
Date: [Month, DD, YYYY]
c/o Yahoo! Inc.
701 First Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94089
To Whom It May Concern,
This letter is a Notice of Infringement as authorized in § 512(c) of the U.S. Copyright Law under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). I wish to report an instance of Copyright Infringement. The infringing material appears on the Service for which you are the designated agent.
1. The copyrighted material, which I contend belongs to me and appears illegally on the Service, is the following:
[Work type- e.g. article, photo, video, blog post] titled “[Title]” by [Name], posted on [Month, DD, YYYY]
It appears at: [URL of your work]
2. The page infringing the copyrighted work appears at the website address: [URL]
This site appears in Google search results for “[Search Terms]” as well as other search terms.
3. My contact information is as follows:
4. I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials as described above is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
5. I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
[Printed Full Name]